Photograph by Ian Rose, 1999
Worley on Aythorpe Roding
Aythorpe Roothing. The small church (St Mary) consists merely of nave and chancel (thirteenth century), and a wooden belfry (fifteenth century) containing three ancient bells. All the windows are lancets, and the south and north doors (the latter scarcely over five feet in height) are of the same Early English character. The belfry has an octagonal spire, and is carried on a framework of horizontal beams resting on the wall-plates at the west end of the nave. Registers from 1559.