Photograph by Ian Rose, 1999
This church was largely rebuilt in 1867.
Worley on Abbess Roding
Abbots Roothing (otherwise Abbess Roothing) owes its distinctive name to theAbbey of Barking, of which it was formerly a dependence. The church (St Edmund) consisting of chancel, nave, and tower with a spire, is mainly offourteenth century date, though some of the windows are two centuries later.The rood-screen, unusually well-preserved, is a fine piece of fifteenth-century woodwork with elegant tracery. The square Norman font resembles that at Fryerning in the decoration of its sides with the sun, moon and stars; also in the five shafts on which the basin rests. registers from 1560.